CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, October 3, 2008

Best 80's Movies

Well, since I threw it out there that St. Elmo's Fire is simply the best 80's movie (and IT IS), I got a comment from the fabulously fabulous Noelle, who said:

I feel like the best 80s movie needs to be placed in categories, so I will make a list:
Horror: Poltergeist
Comedy: Big
Drama: Breakfast Club
Christmas: A Christmas Story
Stupid: Ghostbusters or Spaceballs
Gangster: Scarface

Now, I like this idea of creating categories and whatnot. Let's start a debate (come on 3 readers, buck up). Here is my list, with kind of different categories:

Comedy: Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Musical: Footloose (I guess its musical comedy? Cause that shit is funny.)
Dramedy: St. Elmo's Fire
Random Classic: Goonies
Stupid: Ghostbusters (much agreed, Noelle)
Action: Top Gun

BEST OVERALL: St. Elmo’s Fire

How bout that?

And sadly, I didn't know Scarface was from the 80's. I've never seen it. I'm scared of it.

Oh wait, I might throw Drop Dead Fred in some category, but I'm not sure what to call it. Maybe, "fucked up fun"? Oh shit. What about Dirty Dancing? Ok, so maybe we need "musical drama" and "musical comedy" categories. That might help. Is Dirty Dancing even a musical? More interpretive dance or something.

I feel like there are 80's movies out there we may be forgetting. Maybe not. I'm not a fan really of any of the Molly Ringwald flicks. I know, I know. Shoot me.

6 comments:

N said...

Damn! I forgot about Drop Dead Fred. I'm not sure that was the 80s though. Before making a comment on your blog, I did research and found a website that actually lists movies from the 80s. Feel special- I conducted research for you. I didn't know A Christmas Story was from the 80s, which means I learned something too! Oh, and I've never seen St. Elmo's Fire-apparently this is a must. I've never seen Sixteen Candles either, but many love it. Breakfast Club is the shit though, isn't it?

MellyDoodle said...

Poo, I should have done research. IMDB says Drop Dead Fred is from 1991. Shite. But in doing research just now I found that National Lampoon's Vacation, European Vacation, and Christmas Vacation are ALL from the 80's and those movies are friggin sweet. It's hard to make a best of list!

Anonymous said...

I'm too tired and lazy to try and put my choices into categories so I will just list a couple:
The Breakfast Club
Smokey & The Bandit
Ghostbusters
Big

Anonymous said...

ummm best random by far: Johnny Dangerously

best pseudomusical: is buster ( random brit film with phill collins)

romance: princess bride

adventure: willow ( so much better than Legend - gay unicorn)

shoot the shit: ferris bullers day off

karate movie: karate kid

mad max type movie: mad max

golf: caddyshack

BEST 80's MOVIE EVER!!!!!
STAR WARS
RETURN OF THE MOTHERF*CKIN JEDI bitches!

and that was two minutes. you have one minute for rebuttal.

Anonymous said...

haha or ferris bueller...

Anonymous said...

oh and btw... lets debate the best pumpkin beer

i'm torn between harvest moon pumpkin ale and jacks pumpkin spice