CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Chef du Jour

Since I've effectively stopped grocery shopping (both because of a severe lack of time and funds), I've had to become really creative with the dwindling items left in my fridge/freezer/cupboards. Now, please note--I still buy wine, because...well, wine is really important to one's happiness. So last night I looked through the food...looked again...poked around...and said, pasta! I'm always stocked with pasta, it's too cheap not to keepa around. So not really wanting regular tomato sauce, I threw the following things in a pan and came up with some damn good pasta, if I do say so myself:

Directiones:
Pour yourself a glass of wine. Drink it. Well sip it, don't chug it.
Get out a large pan.
Boil water for pasta in a separate pot. Obviously. When it boils, put in the pasta. This ain't rocket science.
In pan, put:
About 1/4 cup of olive oil (as RR would say, "eyeball it"...I can't believe I just said that)
1/4 of a good sized white onion, chopped
Red pepper flakes...I dunno however much you want, make it SPICYYYYYYY
Couple sprinkles of dried oregano and parsley let's say, 1/2 tsp of each

Sidenote: you can tell my cooking is super exact

Also add about 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic. I really like garlic a lot. if you don't, then don't use that much. dur.

So, you saute all this shit in the pan over medium, even low-medium heat until it starts looking super duper tasty. then, chop up 2 ripe plum tomatoes and put those in the pan. Stir it all around, sing a song, drink more wine. By this time you think you are hot shit. Then, the piece de resistance--throw some damn wine in that pan! I used pinot grigio, I think chardonnay would work just fine too. Don't use that crap that costs $3.50 and you bought just so you could get drunk, use something that actually tastes good. So, I used like, 1/3 cup of wine. Simmer it.

By this time, your pasta is cooking and is close to getting done. So, take it out, put it in the sauce. Stir it all around till it's all nice and coated. Then...and THEN...put in about 2 tablespoons of butter (I used an olive-oil based margarine, I like to think its slightly healthier) and let the pasta simmer in the sauce for a bit. Sprinkle grated parmesan all over the top, and then you have one freaking good meal.

Well, I was proud of myself.

Anyone else come up with a decent recipe while using very few ingredients that are randomly sitting around--you know, the ones that if you don't use within the next 3 days will rot? Those make the best recipes.

I bet none of you will ever eat anything I cook ever again, right?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah and my avocado soup turned out awful - thank you "Everyday with Rachael Ray" magazine. Jason chopped two bulbs of garlic instead of two cloves...and I don't think he got enough of it out of the blender. Now our f***ing apartment smells - working on trying to air it out.